A blog dedicated to creative solutions to changing the world. Highlighting and examining new and old work in social practice art, public art, design, urban planning, and architecture. Art that does something for you and I.

Olafur Eliasson

green_stockholm
Green River, 2000 in Stockholm, Sweden. Image from artist's website, here.

Eliasson's Green River, which consists of dying waterways running through major cities a bright green with no notice or invitation, definitely caught public attention.

This is a solid example of using a setting outside of the gallery to maximum effect. Paintings, graphs, and stories of pollution can be engrossing, but actually experiencing a familiar river turn green must have been a sight to behold. I know if I saw the Hudson or the East River turn bright green tomorrow I would start asking myself about toxic waste in the area...


No comments:

Post a Comment